Monday, January 30, 2006

Happy Chinese New Year!

To everyone, that is. We had our lab retreat at KML over the latter part of the week and saturday, so I had been reasonably busy with that last week, and the lab meeting the week before. But finally I am able to get back to experiments. I think I am making good progress towards my degree, haven't felt that way in like forever, but I think that I'm doing okay, and perhaps getting out in June may be a possibility after all. And since all is back to normal once again, that means practising, learning the new barber songs, and getting into running again. Ankle's still sore, but getting better. Figured I can start with a run/bike/weights regiment and then easing back into my usual schedule.

Good news for the new year--I have been chosen to TA a course to train high school teachers as part of an initative to affect science education by "teaching thru inquiry." I wasn't entirely sure about it at first, but I think it will be a really good experience. Considering that I intend to do teaching for a while after I graduate, the experience would be really good for resume building and to help me in learning how to design a curriculum for a course. It's a little unusual, as I will be teaching high school teachers rather than college students. And the added benefit, it pays $30/hr. Couldn't beat that I suppose.

Got an email about singing in the chorus for La Traviata at this summer's Redland's bowl music festival. The experience last year was fun, but the drive was brutal. If it were a regular choral concert I probably would have said no, but I need all the stage experience I can get right now, and a costumed opera is definitely a great to get it! Also need to start coordinating the publicity for the chorale, and to start remembering to put down everything that I have done on a list. It's way too easy to forget stuff I've done before, especially now that I'm doing more/higher level things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home