Monday, October 10, 2005

My crazy week

The last week or two have been rather nutty for me.
Most of the attention has been focused on attending recruiting events, sending out resumes, cover letters and schmoozing with people at those events. Good thing is, the events are pretty much over and done with except for a career fair this week. An indication that I had been busy with job apps--I haven't really watched movies and my knitting projects are really at a standstill, not to mention the running. But the good news is that I am at least hearing back from people I've applied to. Had a job interview last friday and another one this wednesday. It's just such a stressful process, with all the multiple rounds and case discussions. I'm just being silly again, as I don't even have a job offer, but the fact that I will most likely not be able to sing if I get a job weighs heavily on my mind. It's probably because this has been a week of intense choir rehearsals culminating in our Mahler 2nd concert tonight at Royce Hall. But singing has been such an integral part of my happiness for so long that not being able to do it even for a couple of years doesn't thrill me.

I've never been much of a party girl, but yestday we went out to celebrate Cheryl's big 3-0 birthday. Went to Cinespace, where we watch "Crash" over dinner and birthday cake. Seen the movie before, and the food was decent but pricey. The restaurant/club was okay but I probably won't do it again. There are much more comfortable ways to have dinner over a movie, like pizza for e.g. Then we went to Ivar around the corner where we stayed till 1:30am before heading over to a karaoke bar and did not make it home till 4:30am. Then I sleep till noon when I hopped over to UCLA for our Mahler 2nd dress rehearsal. I'm way too old for stuff like that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia said...

What happen to your research and postdoc gig?

9:15 PM  
Blogger La Nuage said...

To be honest, I really don't know. I'm feeling like research doesn't hold the same appeal that it used to. A lot of it has to do with the very low pay. A starting salary of 28K-32K isn't very attractive, and at the end of everything, maybe I still won't get a job. And I have been so bored with my project that I am getting complacent and having a hard time finishing. I dunno, maybe this is just a phase I am going through, but I feel that I need a change.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

Hm, are you close to finishing in a year right? Would there be value in a PhD in the jobs you are applying for?

Would your advisor allow you to finish up part-time, when you have a job? I remember one of my classmates did, as a matter of completing his dream.

6:45 AM  
Blogger La Nuage said...

Aaah, I'm still going to finish my degree. The jobs I am looking for are hiring for next fall so I can finsh up in June. It might be a good thing in a way, so I can be focused enough to finish finally. I probably won't really be able to use what I have learned in my research for the jobs, but they are hiring PhDs for our problem solving skills. But these jobs are so beyond competitive that I don't really know if I stand a chance.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

All the best. I believe you will be able to complete your Ph.D. and get that job.

Who knows, we might meet in the future after you complete your Ph.D. The world is not very big.

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home