Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Life as a soprano

Started my lessons with my new voice teacher yesterday. It's interesting, switching teachers, for as DN said, there are as many ways of teaching voice as there are voice teachers. That said, some of the things that Kathleen does is definitely counter to what I have learned from Alma. But one thing is for certain--it appears that my days as a mezzo are over. I managed to eke out a high Eb yesterday! Whoa is that even possible? So I will be exploring more soprano repertoire with her, and she thought that we could put together a few arias so I can start thinking about auditioning for opera roles and participate in voice competitions. Cool, I say, if I only I have more time in a day.

We also started choir practice yesterday. Also my first day as a soprano in a new section. Several of my friends in the alto section said "I always thought you were a soprano." It's a little strange, I'm not used much to singing in head voice and all the high As and Bs, so it is a different challenge. Not to mention I have never SUNG the Messiah in soprano, so I have to relearn all the notes. But thankfully soprano is always the easier part to pick up such that even my very limited sight reading skills can manage.

The job app process is tough. All the little details that I have to pay attention to. On the third draft of my resume, and still have a lot to do on the cover letter and short essay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home