Monday, August 29, 2005

Flat

I got up happily this morning, put my helmut on and was about to get on my bike when I noticed that the rear tire looked a little flat. A squeeze with my hand confirmed it. So I got out my super ancient bicycle pump, pumped it to a satisfactory firmess, and as I leaned over to put on the cap I hear a hissing sound. Subsequently I found that a torn had gotten embedded in my tire. So I had to remove my wheel, stick the thing in my car and haul it over to the bike shop (did anyone tell me that trying to move a bike with a flat tire is a nightmare? I ended up having to lift it most of the way) where Steve is going to put in a more thorn-resistant inner tube. I realise that I "could" have tried to fix it myself. However, I was not in the mood this morning, and to be honest, I don't really have an idea of how to do it. I figured I'll ask Steve to show me when I go back to pick up the bike so if this happens to me in the future I'll know what to do.

Spent the greater part of my day in the lab cleaning and moving to Takuya's former bench. The new postdoc is arriving in September, and it would look bad if I were moving when she got here (you know, taking the better bench and all), so I'm doing it now. So now I have a slighter bigger space with a view of my fish tank (albeit from the back, but better than nothing).

I've been feeling this urge to do a good amount of cleaning lately. Sort of to get rid of all the trash in my life, literally and figuratively speaking. So I've moved my bench (in the process cleaned and tossed out a lot of stuff), and have started on doing the same with my home. Tossed out some old boxes and a good number of science magazines. Things just accumulate, and I am sick of the clutter. Also decided to knit a cover for my printer. It's not as strange as it might have sounded, for LA gets pretty dusty with all the carpet, plus I have two shedding cats. So when the print head gets too much dust and not much use I get poor print quality. I have a trash bag covering it right now, but it is rather unsightly.

I think I am becoming and old lady.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jean.Chua said...

What old lady!? Choy, don't anyhow say.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home