Monday, November 20, 2006

Omnivore's dilemma

I've been reading Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma." Well, I started reading it and am now listening to it on CD, which, by the way is a really fantastic thing as it keeps me entertained while I drive. I have found it really interesting to read about how/where we get our food. But mostly I've been thinking about how the animals we eat are treated. I don't think it's wrong to eat animals, it's the way the animals have been treated that bothers me. While I don't think that I'd ever become a vegeterian, I have to admit that after reading/listening to this book I'd definitely pay a little more attention to where I get my food. It's not about eating organic, in fact, most industrial organic farms use just as much energy and don't treat their animals any better than conventional farms. But rather, I would look to a more responsible way of eating, look for the free range chicken or the grass fed beef. Simply because, it's not morally right to subject animals to a lifetime of suffering before they become our dinner. It's sad when the little lab rats we do research on probably get treated than the animals we eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home