Thursday, April 14, 2005

Getting back into the groove

A drawback of going on a trip, whether for work or pleasure, is that when you return you pretty much lose all momentum that you had garnered before the trip. Right before the SU meeting I was going through one of the most productive periods in a long time. After I returned however, it has been very slow and difficult for me to get back into things. I have been back in the lab for 2 days now, and all I have done is chat with people whom I hadn't seen in a week, catch up on old emails. I did organize my desk (somewhat) today, and was trying to organize more of the data that I had generated by not filed away. And yes, I did take the first step of organizing my committee meeting by emailing all the professors involved.

So I think that I really need to get back to what I was doing before I left--assign specific tasks to a day. I found that it worked rather well for me, to put down in my outlook program all the tasks I need to perform on a particular day. It took a little bit of planning the day before, but this way I was able to stay on track in the lab. And knowing that the weekend is so near really doesn't help.

Some of the things I would like to do more often are:
Read--(both academic papers and books). The plane ride to and from Boston got me started in reading a book called "The Secret Life of Germs" An interesting, albeit a little paranoid, foray into the world of microorganisms.
Run--yes I know that I am already reasonably active, but it had been really hard for me to get more than 3 runs in a week these days. Mostly inertia, not really for lack of time so much.
Cook--per my previous post, I'd like to try a new recipe a week. Looks like it will not happen this week :P

The choir started again (for me) yesterday with the Verdi Requiem. I am quite happy now that we are singing classical stuff again. That whole show choir thing just really doesn't do it for me.

Will meet Cheryl for dinner in Pasadena. Both of us like this little Japanese place called Kansai on Fair Oaks. Reasonably priced with authentic udons and stuff.

Movies this week:
Spanglish
Ocean's Twelve
Dying Young
My Boss' Daughter
Hotel Rwanda

Roger is done with his taxes. That must be cause for celebration!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home