Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Preparing for the committee meeting has not been as crazy as I thought it might be. I managed to get my experiments completed about a week ago, so I was spared from the ususal stress of trying to finish up the very last experiment to include in my presentation in a last minute feeble attempt to try and impress the professors. Perhaps I don't care as much anymore, for what can they really do? Certainly I'm past the point where they can kick me out of school--that's an advantage of graduate school, once you pass your candidacy exams it would be very very difficult to get rid of a student. I am slightly nervous at the prospect of facing DJA during the meeting. He's a really great professor, smart guy who makes us think, but he is relentless with his questions. Rumour has it that he made a graduate student cry; but any student who would cry during a committee meeting must have been incredibly sensitive.

Regardless, I have been devoting my days to catching on reading that I probably should have done a while back and preparing the powerpoint presentation. Still need to decide what to include and to complete some figures, but the skeleton is there and I doubt there would be many great changes. Certainly looking forward to being done with this so I can spent the rest of my week not doing anything before returning to experiments again next week.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia said...

Good luck. Remember the usual truth and feel confident: at this point, you possibly know more about your dissertation topic than your advisor or anyone on the committee.

6:09 PM  
Blogger La Nuage said...

That's what everyone tells me, but it still stresses me out. I managed to meet with my advisor today and he made a couple of suggestions, which is always good.

10:23 PM  
Blogger La Nuage said...

BTW I still don't know what you are doing...

10:23 PM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

I do research. But currently am planning some changes.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home